Pages

St. Patty's Phoneme Segmentation

Top of the morning to you!

My kinderkids have been working really hard to isolate the sounds they hear at the beginning and end of words.  We will be moving on to isolate sounds they hear in the middle of words.  We will be doing a lot of work with CVC words and Elkonin boxes in the next few weeks, so I wanted to share this little St. Patty's Day phoneme segmentation activity 
with you: 

This activity addresses the following Common Core Learning Standards:  RF.K.2d:  Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (CVC) words.

They will use this by placing all of their gold coins on the top of the rainbow.  They will then select a card (I have sooo many picture cards to choose from, so I did not include any in the document), name what is pictured, and then slide their gold coin down the rainbow for each sound they hear.  I will be using real gold coins. (Well not real gold, just plastic, but it is real to them!)  I did include paper gold coins in case you didn't have the "real" ones on hand.  

I would love for you to share with me some ways that you reinforce phoneme isolation and/or phoneme segmentation?